What started out as an experiment has become a staple. As in a small helping every day in her lunch box to school.
Last fall, we found ourselves with an abundance of carrots. Angela’s birthday was coming up and I wanted to fix a dessert dish that wasn’t a carrot cake (she fixes that for my birthdays).
I’ve been asked about it often – here it is, Angela’s Healthy Pumpkin- Carrot Pudding (with Thick Topping):
Angela’s Healthy Pumpkin-Carrot Pudding
Ingredients – Pudding
Ingredients – Thickening
| 4-5 Carrots (or 3 cups quartered)
1 can Pumpkin (15 oz)
1.5 cups Almond Milk
1 Tbs Cinnamon
.5 Tbs Nutmeg
Ingredients – Topping
1 can Chilled Coconut Milk (separated)
| 1 cup Coconut Sugar
1 packet Gelatin
1 cup Hot Water
Instructions – Pudding and Thickening
- Boil or Steam Carrots until Fork Tender. Drain. Place into a large bowl.
- Add 1 large banana or 2 small bananas.
- Add Pumpkin.
- Mash (by hand using fork or potato masher)
- Have Almond Milk ready for blending.
- Using a blender, add mashed mixture along with milk (or with a bullet, blend three equal portions of mash mixture along with 1/3 amount of milk).
- Using a hand mixture or blender, bring to a puree.
- Boil water for Thickening
- In separate bowl, combine Gelatin and Coconut sugar dry.
- Add cup of boiling water, whisking as you add water until sugar and gelatin dissolve.
- Add thickening liquid to pudding and use low mixer speed for one or two minutes until completely mixed.
- Pour pudding into shallow container and chill 2 hours or more.
Instructions – Topping
- Refrigerate overnight, one can of Coconut Milk. This separates the milk from the water, creating a thick and creamy base for your topping.
- Strain 1-2 cups of Greek Yogurt, thus separating the liquid whey and creating an additional creamy base – almost like a cream cheese texture.
- Peel a banana.
- Mix on low speed until smooth
- Chill for two hours.
Shopping List – Brands I Use
Almond Milk (any brand) – Unsweetened Vanilla
Coconut Sugar – Madhava (Organic) Found almost anywhere, including Walmart.
Knox Gelatin Envelope (available everywhere, see baking aisle near Jello products)
Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk (not lite) – (available almost anywhere, see Oriental Foods aisle)
Oikos Greek Yogurt – Plain
Print out the PDF – RECIPE:_ Angela’s Healthy Pumpkin-Carrot Pudding